Sunday, January 27, 2019

Comic of the Week - Shazam! #6

The Shazam! comic of the week is Shazam! #6 which published on July 19, 1973 and had a cover date of October 1973.



This comic featured two new Captain Marvel stories and one golden-age adventure featuring the Marvel Family.  What's special to me about this issue is this was my very first Captain Marvel comic I ever purchased - it's the comic that introduced me to the World's Mightiest Mortal!  The pictures in this article are from my copy that I've fortunately held on to all these years.  It has a rolled spine and some staining, but to me it's a treasure I will not part with!

The first story pits Captain Marvel against his long-time nemesis - Dr. Sivana - in the story, "Better Late Than Never!"  The world's maddest scientist goes toe to toe with the World's Mightiest Mortal!



The second story is "Dexter Knox and his Electric Grandmother."  Please note that Dexter Knox, the boy scientist, also appeared in Cap's golden-age comics.  For example, he appeared in Captain Marvel Adventures #135 in the story, "Captain Marvel and the Mystery of the Space Switch!" (June 4, 1952)



The third story is a reprint from Marvel Family #53 (September 22, 1950) entitled, "The Man Who Changed the World."  This story wasn't complete in this issue and readers were advised it would be concluded in the next!



Another feature of this comic is the "Shazamail" section.  There were a few letters written by Cap's golden age fans that seem to be enjoying Cap's new adventures.  One very interesting letter concerns Black Adam!  I was totally surprised that even though he was only in one golden age comic, fans remembered him and wondered if he'd be back in the 1970's editions!



My favorite story from this issue is "Better Late Than Never!"  It's always good to see Cap and Sivana battle - and have Sivana lose again!



No comments:

Post a Comment